What to do if you have a complaint
Filing a complaint with us:
If you have a complaint about our services or a security, contact us at:
TFP Investment Counsel Corp.
Attn. Chief Compliance Officer
1401 – 675 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC, V6B 1N2
Please write to us or call us as soon as possible. You may want to consider using a method other than email for sensitive information.
- What went wrong.
- When it happened.
- What you expect: for example, money back, an apology, account correction.
We will acknowledge your complaint in writing, typically within 5 business days of receiving your complaint. We may ask you to provide clarification or more information to help us resolve your complaint.
Help us resolve your complaint as quickly as possible by:
- Make your complaint as soon as possible.
- Reply promptly if we ask you for more information.
- Keep copies of all relevant documents, such as letters, emails and notes of conversations with us.
We will provide our decision in writing within 90 days of receiving a complaint providing:
- A summary of the complaint.
- The results of our investigation.
- Our decision to make an offer to resolve the complaint or deny it, and an explanation of our decision.
If our decision is delayed beyond 90 days, we will:
- Inform you of the delay.
- Explain why our decision is delayed, and
- Give you a new date for our decision.
If you are not satisfied with our decision, you may be eligible for the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investment’s (OBSI) dispute resolution service. OBSI can recommend compensation of up to $350,000.
This does not restrict your ability to take a complaint to a dispute resolution service of your own choosing at your own expense, or to bring an action in court. Keep in mind there are time limits for taking legal action.
A word about Legal Advice:
- You always have the right to go to a lawyer or seek other ways of resolving your dispute at any time.
- A lawyer can advise you of your options.
- There are time limits for taking legal action.
- Delays could limit your options and legal rights later on.
You have the right to use OBSI’s services if:
- Your complaint relates to a trading or advising activity of our firm by one of our Portfolio Managers.
- You brought your complaint to us within 6 years from the time you first knew, or ought to have known, about the event that caused the complaint, and
- You file your complaint with OBSI according to its time limits:
- If we do not provide you with our decision within 90 days
- If you are not satisfied with our decision, you have up to 180 days after we provide you with our decision to take your complaint to OBSI.
Information OBSI needs to help you:
OBSI can help you best if you promptly provide all relevant information including:
- Your name and contact information
- Our firm’s name and contact information
- The names and contact information or any of our representatives who have been involved in your complaint
- Details of your complaint
- All relevant documents, including any correspondence and notes of discussions with us.
Filing a complaint with OBSI:
OBSI will investigate the issue. During its investigation, OBSI may interview you and representative(s) of our firm. We are required to co-operate in their investigation.
OBSI will provide its recommendations to you and us. OBSI’s recommendations are not binding on you or on us. They can recommend compensation up to $350,000. If your claim is higher, you will have to agree to that limit on any compensation you seek through OBSI. If your claim is for more than $350,000, you may want to consider another option, such as legal action, to resolve your complaint.
For further information, please see OBSI’s website.